Monday, January 11, 2010

Birthdays and Waiting

Birthdays and waiting
My birthday is this week and as I think about my birthdays in the past my minds is drawn to those birthdays that I waited to arrive. For me as a young boy, I couldn’t wait until I turned 12 so I could go to the hunting camp and go hunting. We can’t wait until we turn 16 so we can have the freedom of driving. As we grow older we are just happy birthdays come and go. But the two ideas of both birthdays and waiting can have a spiritual side to them. Our birthday is a great time for us to reflect about our lives, how am I doing spiritually or do I have any goal I should set for the next year? But even more than that it is a great time to remember where God has taken you and how God has brought you to this present place in life. And as we do that I am sure we will be reminded of something for which we are still waiting.
Yesterday we discussed in the sermon our church’s mission statement: Exalt Jesus Christ, Evangelize the Lost, and Edify the Believers. I spent some time on the 2nd point because it is where we are in most need of improvement and encouragement. And I wonder: are you still waiting for the Lord to work in the life of someone special to you? Have you been sharing and praying for someone for a long time and it just seems that they are no closer to the kingdom of God than when you first prayed? Don’t give up! Keep praying, keep sharing the gospel, keep loving the person. In the evening service we looked at the story of Joseph who finally gets to see all of his brothers after 20 some years. Can you image 20 years of your life waiting for God to restore your family. But he waited faithfully and God in His timing answered his prayer. Have a great week and remember God is at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment