Monday, January 25, 2010

Why Memorize Scripture?

Why Memorize Scripture?
Some of you may be asking on Sunday mornings, “Why is Pastor Corey making a big deal about memorizing Scripture?” When it comes to Scripture memorization, I have heard all the excuses: I’m not good at memorizing; I can’t remember the reference; I don’t know which translation to use; and the excuses go on.
There are two main passages of Scripture for me that tell us we need to memorize Scripture no matter how hard it is for us to do. Psalm 119:9-11 says, “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” As we saw also from our study of Ephesians last fall, it says in 4:12, “to equip the saints for works of ministry.” The works of ministry are primarily the ministry of the Word. That is, giving nuggets of truth, or at times even applying Scripture to one another’s life situations, that it may bring grace to the hearer.
We are memorizing Scripture corporately so that we can encourage one another to press on in the faith, and be prepared to minister the Word to one another and to ourselves, so that we might not sin against God. Have a great week and begin to memorize the sweet honey of the Word of God.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I think it is such a GREAT idea to memorize Scripture corporately and wish more churches would do so.

    ReplyDelete